Faulty electrical wiring in your home can be dangerous. Often, these electrical problems exist and you may not be aware of them.

There are warning signs that will tell you whether your home has an electrical problem. However, you must know what they are in order to accurately pinpoint them and get help. 

Here are some tips that will help you identify common electrical problems at home and if your electrical wiring safety has been compromised.

Electrical Wiring Safety and Lights

If your circuit breaker has not tripped, this doesn’t mean that you don’t have an electrical wiring problem when you see flickering lights. One of the major symptoms of damaged wiring is a buzzing sound, flickering, or dimming lights.

The sooner you deal with this problem the better. If the light has not completely gone out some homeowners have a tendency to put off calling in a professional.

However, these problems can sometimes be warning signs of an electrical fire. If you notice buzzing sounds or dimming lights, call an electrician who knows how to find an electrical short in the house.

Frayed Wiring

Frayed wiring is another sign that you are in desperate need of an electrical upgrade. Frayed wiring is usually caused by rodents living in the ceiling or pets who get access to exposed wiring. It can even be caused by people who come in and work on your property.

Frayed or chewed-up wiring can cause electrical shock and is a fire hazard. When you find this problem it is extremely important that you get an electrician to fix it as soon as possible.

Strange Odors

One of the tell-tale signs there is an electrical problem is smoky, or burning odors coming from electrical outlets. Once you are smelling these odors it means that fire damage is already underway.

Faulty wiring that starts smoking is often the result of improper electrical installation. Always ensure that you find out ahead of time if your electrician is licensed.

Without proper training, an electrician is likely to create home electrical troubleshooting problems instead of solving them.

Vibrating and Warm Outlets

One way you can easily check if the wiring in your home has gone bad is to touch your outlets. If you feel intense heat coming from the outlet or feel vibrational movements, something is wrong.

There may be loose or damaged wiring hidden in the outlet. This can only be fixed by a professional. It is not a good idea to turn this into a DIY project.

How to Check Electrical Wiring in the Home: Get Professional Help

When it comes to electrical wiring safety, you should never take any chances. Faulty wiring needs to be rectified by a professional.

It is never a good idea to ignore any issues that you may find. Electrical problems never get better on their own. The best way to avoid having to do costly repairs is to fix the small problems before they turn into even bigger ones.

If you would like professional electrical help in or around Lewisville, Texas, do not hesitate to contact us